Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Solange----> inspiration for accepting individual beauty

I can listen to Solange's Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams all and everyday... I absoulutely love the entire album. I love 60s music and it allows me to enjoy that style of the music along with lyrics that are relevant to this time. It surprises me that the album didn't do that well although, it had positive comments from critics. If you're listening to it for the first time, pretend that she's not Beyonce's sister because their style, voice, and music as a whole is completely different.



This is a picture of her with her son. I love her haircut! Women who have the balls to go this short & natural, i respect to the fullest. So many people associate beauty with characteristics that really can not be changed. It bothers me when society as a whole decides what is or what is not beautiful. For example, dark skin isn't always considered beautiful; I consider myself to have dark skin... and i love the fact that I'm truely brown when there are people who tan to get almost 1 or 2 shades lighter than me. I love the fact that one of my close friends can have short hair one week and long next && still be beautiful. Or when I see women with edgy haircuts and/or haircolor and tattoos. As I ramble along I'm realizing (which I should already know and express) that the differences in our styles, color, preferences, attitudes, smiles... basically the differences between every woman... is what makes her beautiful in her own individual way.

Beauty: the qualities that give pleasure to the senses;;

[senses: sight, taste, touch, smell, hear]

Working at Lane Bryant, I hear so many women complain about things that are out of their control and things that are in their control. Since most of these women are plus size, it usually has something to do with their bodies. It upsets me when these women aren't confident in their OWN skin. I may not love every part of my body, but I will embrace the negatives and the positives to my full potential. A lot of plus size women think that hiding under LOTS of material, makes them appear smaller. In reality, it only makes them look bigger. Or they believe in fashion myths... yes they are true in certain cases... but if you wear them correctly they can be flattering.

At the end of the day, what I may think is beautiful... isn't always beautiful to someone... so the good ole saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," is actually true. (geez, i hate cliches) The most beautiful thing about beauty is that there's no right or wrong answer, when it comes to a question about it. On the other hand, our viewpoints on beauty ulimately stem from what is social accepted. I'm lucky to have had a childhood that exposed me to different types of people,so I could have the ability to see the beauty in each person I meet. BUT i'm cursed because like many others, I allow society to skew those view points.

solange

andre | MySpace Video


[here's solange's video for sandlecastle disco]

0 comments: